By: Steve aka “TradeIn” and Fred aka “Nightputter”
The Holiday season is upon us. Gifts for kids and relatives have been purchased. It’s down to the last minute and you’re scrambling to figure out what to get your significant other. We have all been in this situation, wandering aimlessly at the mall on December 24th or browsing Amazon, convincing yourself that a gift a few days late is better than nothing at all.
Well, fear not! If you have a golfaholic to shop for, we here at Back9Rally have compiled a list of 11 great gift ideas, from baller to budget-friendly:
- Personalized Golf Balls – We all need to go into the spring season loaded with enough balls to get us primed for summer. It’s inevitable that your first dozen or two will end up OB, in the water, plugged never to be found, or you’re just to lazy to walk the 100 yards off target to get that breakfast ball. You can’t go wrong with giving the gift of golf balls. Added bonus, it’s the golf version of “pay it forward” as it continues to be found at courses around the world. Photo cred: @cartbarnguys
- Unique Golf Shirt – Golf has given us some pretty awesome fashion over the years. Today’s golf gear is comfortable, versatile and allows you to make a statement on or off the course. For the more daring check out GolfGods and pick up the F* Bogeys pinstripe polo. Or visit our friends at Waggle for some fun options that will be the hit of the links.
- Custom Club Work – Warning: not for the last minute shopper. If you want the golfer in your family to really make his/her playing partners envious, send that favorite wedge or putter off to get customized. There are some extremely talented folks out there that do crazy cool work. We follow Wedge Wizard (@wedge_wizard) on Instagram and are amazed at some of his designs.
- Indoor Putting Green – Let’s face it, we can all use more practice with ‘ol Billy Baroo. In the winter (for those of us near the 45th parallel) your basement carpet ain’t gonna cut it. There are tons of options out there at all sort of price ranges. We would make a recommendation but Santa has not delivered on this one yet. However, Amazon looks to have lots of options with many reviews
- Indoor Simulator for the
Man CaveFamily Area – Definitely wishful thinking on our part. However, if you have the room and the funds, this gift could provide entertainment for the entire family! Add an HD projector and it can double as an in-home movie theatre. That is what we call a “win-win.”
- Golf Bag – Like purses, in our opinion, you can’t have too many golf bags. There are many situations that could cause one to switch things up. For example, you get a call from a buddy to play The Loop https://www.forestdunesgolf.com only to find out there are no carts… You’re not going to want to carry that Sun Mountain C130 cart bag and if you’re not part of the #pushcartmafia you need something lighter. Bonus: extra bags keep your clubs organized and not all over the house. Sun Mountian makes some of our favorite bags and has a huge product line to fit all your needs. It is hard to go wrong with one of the leaders in the industry for over 30 years.
- New Golf Shoes – That stench that fills the room after a morning round where 4 hours of dew and sweat combine for a pungent smell that even sends the dog running. Ok maybe not that bad, but if you had more than one option it might be easier to keep those kicks from getting so rotten. Tomo Golf Shoes looks interesting, we’ll be checking those out for sure. https://tomogolf.com
- New Grips – If it looks like your dog used your 7-iron as a chew toy, it’s time for some new grips (I’m looking at you Monday night Men’s league)…. you can’t go wrong with Golf Pride: https://www.golfpride.com Bonus tip: if you live in metro Detroit, go see Don Price at DC Golf Studio in Royal Oak for all of your golf repair / fitting needs: http://royaloakgolfcenter.com/golf-repair/
- AmpCaddy – If they made a Caddyshack 3, I know Al Czervik would have an AmpCaddy on his bag. This is a must purchase item for your next charity scramble, just try to keep it down when Judge Smails is teeing off. https://ampcaddy.com
- Blue Birdie Headcover – Looking to cover your flat stick with a cool design? Look no further than Blue Birdie Golf Company. Even if you 3-putt, at least you’ll be doing it in style!!! https://bluebirdie.golf
- Golf Weekend/Trip – Great for the couple (if you both play) or team up with your friend’s spouse to give the boys a nice get-a-way. This option can be pricey but with sites like GroupGolfer you can keep an eye out for a fantastic deal. Like the Stay and Play package, we purchased last summer at TreeTops. There are many bucket list options in just about every state. Here in Michigan, The Loop at Forest Dunes is an option for a unique 36 hole design played on 18 holes.